Monday, March 1, 2010

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch

The winner is #4, Lynn.

I am sorry that I am so far behind on posting.  I have been sick.

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch is one of my favorite books.  This book is about a young boy who is forced to become an indentured servant.  He lives in Salem, during the eighteenth century.  He was a mathematical genius who overcame great odds to continue his education after becoming a servant.  His work, "The American Practical Navigator" is still in use.

While this book is not a traditional math book, or even about math, it does show how math is useful in the real world.  I highly recommend this book on these merits, alone.  But, in addition, it is a great story.  It was the winner of the 1956 Newberry medal.  Obviously, it is not a new book, but I have found that old books have much to recommend them.

If you would like to win this book, please leave a comment.  This giveaway will end on March 8th.

7 comments:

  1. I'd love to win a copy of this book. I've read it to my kids before and we loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a former math teacher I just love all the math books you find. How fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'd love to win a copy of this book.
    a_heart4home[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember reading Newberry Medal books when I was younger. They were wonderful.

    lynnx512 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book in middle school-- excellent! I would love to have it to read to my children.
    two_pogs @ verizon . net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love enter for this giveaway, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I came across your site and I think my current giveaway might be something of interest to you it is for a 1yr. membership to an online site for kids where they can share their writing, take part in monthly writing contest etc. if your interested stop by and check it out

    Erica @But Mommy...

    ReplyDelete