Thursday, February 25, 2010

Times Tales

The winner is #5- Kristin.

Times Tales is one of my favorite math helps.  Outside of my 9 year old teaching the 6 year old his multiplication tables, this is one of the most effective ways I have found of teaching my children their multiplication tables.

I have to admit that I have become a "wait and see" kind of parent where the tables are concerned.  My two younger children have slowly learned their tables as they pressed forward into other math.  For instance, my middle son only cemented his grasp of the multiplication table after he had already finished long division.  Having to do all that 'backward' multiplication really got the tables into his head.  However, he enjoyed the Times Tales.  It helped get him off to a fast start.  If your child does not have the option of time, or you just really want them to have those tables memorized before you move on, this is the book for you.

This book gives children a gentle way of memorizing the multiplication tables.  It does not include the 1s, 2s, 5s, or 10s.  It only includes a few of the 3s and 4s.  Basically, it covers the hard problems to memorize.  It is a different way of doing business.  And, when it comes to any subject, but especially math, I am all about finding different ways to help their brains grasp things.

The idea behind this book is that there is a story and symbol that goes with each problem.  As the child begins to remember the story, the multiplication problems become cemented in their brains.  Most children like to have books read to them over and over again.  This is a great way to get those multiplication tables going without having to resort to flash cards.  While I enjoyed flash cards, so far none of my children have had a particular liking for them.  Oh well.

Up for grabs today...  One copy of Times Tales!  Please leave a comment with an easy way to get in touch with you (email is great!).

5 comments:

  1. I hated flash cards as a child. This sounds much better :)
    a_heart4home[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be needing something soon to help us with multiplication and this sounds like a great resource!
    darrell
    miamichickens at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated flash cards, too. I guess I still do :) I'm grateful for anything that makes learning the multiplication tables fun.

    lynnx512 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really neat.
    schneider710@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an extremely math-minded boy who seems to pick up math facts with no effort...and I have a more hesitant little girl. This book sounds great! two_pogs @ verizon. net

    ReplyDelete